Sunday, August 12, 2012

Updates and upcoming shows


 I'm very pleased to say that my presentation, "Extinction and Nonexistence: Creatures of a Metaphysical Realm," was, for the most part, a success . After a shaky start I was able to jump right into my presentation clearly and professionally. Luckily, I was blessed with a great group at the LFAC. All members of the audience had great comments and questions  throughout the presentation.  At the end, I was lucky enough to share my collection of books with everyone in the midst of discussing topics involving extinction, conservation, existence, and reality.... all very cool stuff. For me, one of the best aspects of the presentation was the fact that everyone seemed to understand almost all layers of meaning and emotion I have tried to develop in my paintings. I really hope this trait isn't limited to this group. With this experience, I hope that I have the opportunity again to discuss and share my artistic research and concepts. 



In anticipation of this presentation, I now have reproductions of my work available for purchase. Above left are detail shots of my larger works highlighting the extinct bird species in a particular painting. I have had a few interested in images of the unicorn as well, and those are on their way.

*A very special thanks to Aaron Melendez for his help in making my presentation and the availability of prints.

While I am thanking people, I cannot forget to thank Jennifer Norback for allowing my work to be displayed in the show, Life's a Beach, at her gallery in Chicago. I have been an intern there since January but with the conflicts of two work schedules I have had to sacrifice my time there. It definitely is a chapter in my life that I will miss and I hope that Jennifer Norback, Cindy Bernhard, and I will have the chance to work together again in the future. 

 In the middle of working, I have been trying to enter into as many shows as possible. Shows are great for me not only because it gives me the exposure I need as an artist, but it also serves as a short-term storage unit for my larger works. I currently have my largest painting, Lost and Found, as a part of my BFA show at the American Academy of Art. Recently, I've discovered that my piece, Newcomer will be included in Jackson Junge Gallery's Apocalypse 2012: Genesis 2013 exhibition. Not only will this show highlight my themes on extinction, but I'm privileged enough to have my work as a preview for the exhibit to be included in this year's Chicago Artists Month. Here is more information if you are interested in attending the opening reception with me:


Another great show I have the pleasure of being included is Evanston's 4th Annual Green Arts Show where the work focuses on greener ways of living. My newest piece will be displayed for the first time along with other great artists including fellow PCHS and AAArt alunmi Kim Guare. I'm very excited to have my work in the same show as Kim as she is an amazing artist working in a variety of mediums. If you haven't seen her work, you need to:

http://www.kimguare.com/

More updates to come soon. Be sure to check back to see my new painting featuring the Carolina Parakeet near the end of the month and some new experimental paintings I'm working on.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention Kristina! Keep up the hard work, you are doing so well! See you at the 4th Annual Green Arts Show opening!

    ReplyDelete