Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Luzon Bleeding-Heart Dove Painting

Detail of Luzon Bleeding-Heart Dove
I just finished this painting as a gift, but I must admit I really just wanted to paint this beautiful bird. This dove's name is extremely fitting, and although it seems to have some gruesome elements, I think it is an absolutely gorgeous bird deserving of some attention. There was a story about how the dove got it's "bleeding" chest marks: apparently it flew straight to Christ, brushing against His wounds immediately after being stabbed on the cross. Now, that's some story, but have to admit I love finding that type of history on such a unique animal, true or not. This painting was also sort of a warm-up piece; An attempt to get myself into the mindset of painting doves. If you know anything about extinct birds, you might be able to guess what species I will be painting next. Oh.... and there might be a unicorn involved too.

No comments:

Post a Comment